An archival VOC mindset? Archival problems within an early-modern context that is dutch-Asian
This program is a component associated with the (Res)MA History Programme. It is really not available for BA pupils.
This Research Seminar is targeted on the archives for the VOC or Dutch East Asia business. It partly functions as a practical, more certain counterpart of this Literature Seminar. It relates to a few of the basic archival writing websites dilemmas talked about here, but details them into the context of a 17th- and 18th-century Dutch-Asian commercial enterprise. As the VOC records formally comprised company administration, in training in addition they functioned as a huge repository of valuable and key informative data on a variety of activities in early-modern Asia.
The many remaining VOC archives are comprised of several numerous kinds and even ”genres” of papers, including maps. Further, they partly overlap with materials that fall beyond your confines of those collections, but are closely regarding them, such as for instance personal documents, missionary records, travel reports, and even pieces of art. These diverse materials had been produced with various purposes, are comprised and organised in numerous means, and information that is present various perspecitives.
This seminar considers and compares all of these sources from both an archival and a point that is historiographical of. In addition searches for similarities and differences when considering, in the one hand, the VOC archives and, having said that, archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations as well as other European international trading organizations. Students who cannot(old that is read Dutch may use such other European documents, as an example those associated with English East Asia business.
The student has acquired:
- 1 The power to individually recognize and choose literary works, making use of old-fashioned and contemporary methods;
- 2 The capacity to independently determine and choose sources, utilizing old-fashioned and techniques that are modern
- 3 The power to analyse and assess a corpus of sources having a view to handling a specific historic issue;
- 4 the capacity to analyse and assess literary works with a view to addressing a specific problem that is historical
- 5 the capacity to separately formulate a definite and research that is well-argued, taking into consideration the concept and approach to the industry also to reduce this concern to available and workable sub-questions;
- 6 the capability to individually put up and perform an initial scientific study that could make a share to existing scholarly debates;
- 7 the capability to offer an obvious and well-founded dental and written report on research results in proper English, whenever needed, or Dutch, fulfilling the requirements of this discipline;
- 8 the capability to take part in present debates into the specialisation;
- 9 the capacity to provide constructive feedback to and formulate criticism of this work of other people while the capacity to measure the worth of these critique and feedback on one’s very very own work and feature it;
- 10 (ResMA just): The capacity to take part in a conversation associated with the theoretical fundamentals associated with the control.
Learning goals, related to the specialisation
- 11 Thorough knowledge and comprehension of 1 of this specialisations or subspecialisations along with associated with historiography for the specialisation, concentrating particularly regarding the after; when you look at the specialisation Archival Studies: archiving in a colonial context; understanding of the value of archiving procedures when it comes to manner in which a society relates to its paperwork heritage as a whole and its own historic practice in specific; disclosure, including electronic disclosure, of archives included in the wider history sector.
- 12 Thorough knowledge and comprehension regarding the theoretical, conceptual and methodological facets of the specialisation or subspecialisation under consideration, by having a specific give attention to the immediate following: in the specialisation Archival Studies: theoretical fundamentals of archivistics; evaluation and variety of archives.
Learning goals, with respect to this extensive Research Seminar
- 13 Thorough knowledge of the organization regarding the VOC archives and exactly how it even compares to the organization of closely relevant materials (personal documents, missionary records, etc.), to archives of contemporaneous Dutch institutions also to documents of other European trading that is overseas.
- 14 Thorough knowledge of exactly just how these different principles that are organisational pertaining to the goals and audiences of these materials additionally the kind and tone of data they have.
- 15 the capacity to analyse and compare archives produced within an early-modern Dutch-non-Western context.
- 16 (ResMA only): the capacity to put up and execute initial research that raises new concerns, pioneers new apporaches and/or points to brand brand new directions for future research.